The church of St. George as it is now, It is a rare monument of pure Barocchetto, built in 1760 of Venetian architect design Pietro Bezzi, in place of the old demolished church and then going back to the primitive nucleus of the end of 1200. The old church, so many times restored, manipulated and then demolished, They are preserved the famous picture of Boulanger ('St George and the other Patrons of Sassuolo around B.V. Maria? executed in 1680), the chorus of classical Paltrinieri (architect Sassuolo) executed in 1691, the statue of the Madonna del Carmine 1660, other valuable paintings such as 'Madonna del Rosario', ‘S.Paolo eremita’, 'St. Anthony of Padua', 'S. Camillo' and the urn containing the body of the martyr S.Ruffino, under the main altar, of the 1648.
Since the Middle Ages the church of St. George was a small rectory dependent parish of Castellarano. The first mention dates back to 1318, when the two Tomaxio rectors and Lazarus were invited to pay a tenth of Threepenny reggiani to apostolic collectors.
Obizzo Della Rosa, lord of Sassuolo, He stipulated in her will drawn up in 1331, which they were made holy building improvements. In 1375, We are having just begun the first dominion of the Este Sassuolo, at the behest of Nicholas II and Alberto V d'Este, the church became a parish. Grateful to them, Elders dedicated it to the Martyr St. George protector of Ferrara capital and the dynasty.
only in 1428 The parish church had its baptismal font.
Most of Rectors of St. George nominated in the fifteenth century came from other cities and some directly from Ferrara. At the end of the century, But, began the rectors sassolesi series and followed one another in the church of St. George the representatives of the most influential families. The Sassolesi always proved less willing to tolerate the dependence of their church by the parish of Castellarano.
This awe weighed particularly to Marco Pio, who did not hesitate, in 1593, to turn to Cardinal Pietro Aldobrandini, nephew of Pope Clement VIII, appoggiasse because his demands. The community, part of your, not only he wanted to reach the goal he had set the Pious, but also he wanted the election of the church in collegiate. It needed, for this, assigned to St. George the benefits of all the speakers and other churches including those of S. Polo and S. Giovanni Braida.
The 7 July 1594 and incorporating the demands of Marco Pio and his wife Clelia Farnese: he was appointed rector Domenico Pelliccioni and was decreed the division of the primitive church S.Giorgio. The pastor of Sassuolo was awarded the title of provost, the two were assigned as assistants cared benefited, two singers, a Sagrista, a deacon, a suddiacono, who went on to form the "College of the Priests".
He got what he wanted, "Marco Pio procured the Parish Church then dishonorable and little decent shape was rebuilt and reduced to a beautiful temple with three aisles and thirteen altars". Because San Giorgio became an independent collegiate needed, But, that the decrees of the Rangoni were confirmed and validated by the approval of the Holy See: approval was made to wait long.
The bubble of Urban VIII, that sanctioned the separation of St. George from the church is the Castellarano 23 December 1624. only 13 August 1629 He came to the Diocesan Administration of Reggio the concesione of the collegiate privilege and 14 October latter could, Finally, begin to carry out its functions. Pope Innocent X, the Roman Pontiff is fitting con del la bolla 30 May 1648, granted the privilege of wearing the Provost, during the sacred rites, "Magna hood and Bobbin" and the canons "the Almazia and Sable".